Frequently Asked Questions
We have compiled a questions and answers page to answer the most common questions that people have asked over the years.
I worked for Flair last summer what should I do if I have seen an event of interest?
- Its simple either call our office to put your name down to work
- Call us and lead the conversation by stating "Hi I am returning staff member.........."
- If you have not worked with us for more than 2 years we will need to update your details - you may also need to attend another interview.
Useful link: Contact page
How do I register with Flair Event Staffing Ltd?
- We require you to attend one of our interview sessions. We hold these locally for each event we run or the closest large city location.
- For the closest interview session to you please see our 'Join Us' page.
- You will have the option to either simple email interest in receiving interview information from us closer to the interview day or we open the option to apply with a online application form for a telephone interview.
- We do take preference to people who attend our interview days, however we understand it make prove complicated to attend certain interview days. In this case email across a ONE page CV and attach a photo. We only turn to telephone interviews 1-2 weeks before an event and can only interview you if you have sent in your information.
Useful link: Recruitment page
My friend wants to work for you but they have not had an interview.
- The best thing that your friend can do is come to our next interview session in your area.
- If there are no more interviews being held they can email us a one page CV and a recent photograph of themselves with the event name in which they are interested in the subject box and 'my friend is working'.
- We will then contact them if we need any extra staff.
Useful download: Application Form
What should I bring to the interview?
To comply with British recruitment law and to ensure all our employees are legally allow to work within the UK we require you to provide the following documents before you work for us:
ID - We need to see and photocopy and then retain a copy for 1 year after you have worked for Flair either:
A) Your a passport if non EU this would also provide us with a copy of your working visa.
B) A Birth Certificate + National Insurance Evidence e.g. a p45 or payslip etc + photo ID
- Know your National Insurance number
- A passport size photo
- Completed application form & signed contract of employment
Why do you ask me for a copy of my passport, UK Birth Certificate and NI evidence or working visa?
We require from everyone that comes to work for us proof of right to work in the UK, we can accept the documentation above; we do not accept driving licenses on there own. We are required by law to retain a copy of your documents for 1 calendar year after you have worked for us.
What happens after the interview?
You will be told at the interview the next steps to follow, we aim to provide you with all the information you need. You will be asked to either call or email us with your interest in the position. We then either accept you or decline your application. You can then go away and start your event preparation.
What happens then, between being accepted and attending an event?
- You will then be sent an email with any additional event information from the interview hand outs.
- You will be informed of an event 'call back day' this is the day you have to verbally call to confirm your attendance, order camping equipment, book coaches, suggest friends you wish to work with etc. Only after this telephone call is your job 100% confirmed.
Why do I have to phone the office on 'call back day' before each event? Have I not already accepted the job?
- Call us old fashioned, verbal confirmation from our teams is required so we have the knowledge you will be there. Its temporary work, plans change, we understand this so we want to hear that you will 100% be working and accept the contact. Please also inform us if you are unable to make the event.
- Call back day is also important as you receive from us the meeting location and time.
Useful link: Contact page
When do I receive all of the information for working on an event?
- We email you details of the contract about a week before the event.
- This includes what and how you are getting paid, your uniform, transport details and any other details that we think you need to know.
- It will also have the date and time of 'call back day' when you must call us to confirm that you can still work.
- Please also remember to cancel a shift at any point you realise you can't work. We give you so many opportunities to do this. If you don't let us know we will consider not employing you again. Sorry.
I have not received the event info email?? But my friends have?
- First, check your junk mail, often our emails end up there.
- We may have your email address wrong on our database so call to check.
- Simply read your friends and remember to call on 'call back day' to confirm your shift.
I'm working at a camping festival, what equipment do I need to bring?
- A good quality tent - single skinned tent are NOT waterproof!!
- Sleeping bag
- Roll mat
- Warm clothes for the evenings
- Plastic bags to put wet things in,
- Baby wipes!
- NO VALUABLES
I don't have a tent/sleeping bag/roll mat! I heard Flair sells equipment?
- Yes, we can sell you Vango tents, Vango sleeping bags and sleeping mats all at cost price. You would place your order on call back day and when you arrive at the event collect items from us. You sign for all items collected and we can then deduct the total amount from your wages. Receipts are included with all items and state full price and VAT.
- We sell Vango 2 man tents for £23.00 / Sleeping bags for £15.00 / £20.00 and mats for £4.00
- This is not a sales pitch, if you order items but then manage to borrow or find a high street bargain at the same quality it's not a problem. Just let us know on arrival that you no longer need the items. We just want you to be comfortable for the weekend and we have good contacts to get quality items at a good price for our teams.
I don't have a tent/sleeping bag/roll mat!
- We recommend that you borrow these items from friends and family. If you can't and you would like to buy them we can sell you good quality two man tents, Vango sleeping bags and roll mats. You can order these with us on 'call back day' and pick them up from us when you sign in at the event.
Can I cook my own food at the event?
- No - we do not provide cooking facilities
- You can not bring your own cooking equipment as it is a fire hazard
Are we provided with food at weekend camping events?
- Generally we will provide you with a packed lunch style lunch and an evening meal that is usually served canteen style, tokens for food vans or another packed lunch.
- Unfortunately, we cannot cater for any special dietary requirements.
- Please bring lots of your own food for breakfast and for snacks throughout the day.
What facilities are there in the staff camping areas?
- The facilities differ depending on the event and are provided by the event organisers.
- In the best-case scenario there are plenty of toilets and some showers, in a bad case there are no showers or the showers are cold, or there but not plumbed in!
- Unfortunately, we don't know what the situation is until we arrive on site so baby wipes are your best friend!
Do I get paid for working with Flair?
Yes most definitely! The rate of pay differs for each event and will be specified when you accept each contract with us. All wages are subject to PAYE deductions by law and are above minimum wage within each age bracket. The government sets a new minimum wage each October so check yearly to know your rights.
How and when do I get paid?
- It all depends on the event but you will be fully advised on method of payment, set days to expect your wages and rate of payment before accepting a contract.
- It will either be in cash on the last day, cheques or bank payments sent 2-3 days later.
- Flair always pays promptly and follows your tax form instructions!
- Please remember we can not be held responsible for the banks taking 2-3 day to clear a payment or your post being delayed.
Am I taxed on my wages?
It is UK law. All wages are subject to PAYE deductions. You will be asked to fill out a tax form (P46 or P38s Student during holiday periods) at each event and you are taxed accordingly.
Do I have to pay a deposit for my wrist band at each event?
- Unlike many other companies - we do not ask you to pay a deposit!
- However - if you abscond from your shift without informing Flair Staff Management, we will prosecute you for the cost of the wrist band! Why should the majority be put out for the odd person who thinks it's a quick way in to the event? You will be charged for the band, admin fees and court costs.
- If you have a genuine reason please inform the Flair event office verbally on the day. If you fail to inform us you will also be prosecuted. Remember we have heard a fair few stories over the year, many very unbelievable, some very stupid and some honest but the person never thought to let us know.
I want to claim my tax back from all my jobs what should I do?
You need to collect all your P45's from all employers with in that tax year. So simple call or email us this request. If you are emailing in subject box "P45 Please" and please give your current full postal address. It's not a P60 this is only for jobs held across tax years. From Flair it's a P45.
What do I have to wear when I'm working for you?
- This can differ depending on what type of event you are working at. If there are any special uniform requirements you will be told.
- The general rule is all black, black trousers, shorts or skirt (jeans are allowed but they must be black) and black shoes or trainers (all footwear must be closed toe), wellies can be any colour!
- We provide you with a FREE staff T-Shirt.
- Don't bring any valuables that don't fit and stay nicely in your pockets.
- Minimum bags per person especially single day events as space behind our bars can be tight.
I don't have black trousers will blue do?
- No. We have a set uniform if you arrive without the requested uniform you will be sent home.
- Visit your local shops, charity shops the trousers can be very basic but do need to be black.
Can I work with my friends?
- We try our hardest to put friends working together in the same bar so during CALL BACK DAY let us know who you wish to work for. Please note we don't promise.
- On call back day only ONE of your group should ring to confirm for the team.
- If you are not placed with your friends on the day we do our best to sort out the situation but after 10 years of some people's rudeness it's not very high on our priority.
What do I do if I need to cancel work a shift?
- Please text/email/phone to let us know as soon as possible as we will need to cover your position.
- Please, pretty please remember to put your full name on any correspondence to our office.
I worked for you last year but I haven't heard anything from you this year?
The chances are that you have changed your email address and/or your telephone number! At the beginning of the season please call us with all of your updated details.
Will my travel to the event be paid?
- No. We recruit locally for each event to help keep travel costs down.
- Flair often provides coaches to events but these will be from set towns only.
- Staff parking at festivals is normally available but one day concerts never available.
- If you really want to travel to events book your travel arrangements early to keep costs down. Really think about your travel time and if your happy than we are happy to have you.
Do I get to see the bands?
- The shifts that we operate are generally all day shifts. During your break you will be able to go off into the event and have fun.
Can I party in the crowd when I finish my shift?
- Please remember to take your bar staff T-shirt off
- You are only able to purchase drinks from the bar if it is a cash event
- Remember if it is a token event - you must not have tokens on you at ANY time!!
- You can buy staff drinks from us at specific times, you are not allowed to purchase any festival vouchers. Also staff beer is cheaper than the vouchers so does this not make sense?
Can I camp with my friends who are coming to the events as customers?
- NO!! Staff wrist band = staff camping pass ONLY.
- Some security guards will let you in to the general camping ground and others will not let you out - the result is you being stuck and us having to come and get you - BAD!!
Questions that have been asked that probably shouldn't have...
Can I work half shifts and then go party with my friends?
Sometimes we finish staff early but this is always dependant on crowd demand and is never guaranteed.
Can I camp with my friends who are staff members?
Yes of course!
How many people can I have in my tent?
As many as you want...
Should I bring my favourite gold necklace that my Grandmother gave me to the event?
NO!! Do not bring any valuables with you - sadly theft is rapidly increasing at festivals
Can I drink alcohol before my shift?
NO!! You will NOT be able to work if you have seen you drinking alcohol prior to a shift and you will be escorted off site - this is just like any other job. Zero tolerance policy.
Can I wear my white sandals to work?
NO!! Uniform all black quite simple!
Can I wear my mini skirt even though it is black?
We are pretty flexible with what you wear as long as it is black
BUT - make sure you a realistic, i.e. can you really bend down and pick up case of drinks in a mini skirt?? Make sure you are comfortable in whatever you are wearing!
Do I need to buy a ticket to come and work for you?
See more pictures from our events in our online photo gallery